Keytaps And Pencil Strokes


 Dear reader,

 

      Since this will be the penultimate episode of my blog, I would like to provide my thoughts and suggestions on the art of creative writing. I do consider myself only as an amateur writer however I shall try my best to keep it as informative as possible.

 

     One of the biggest problems that I faced (and still face) while starting a blog is quite the existential one. The question here being, “How do I fulfil my obligation to the reader to provide authentic and honest content? What right do I have to blog?”. To this one thing I would try is to be honest to yourself. As Abraham Lincoln said, “Whatever you are, be a good one”. It is imperative that one has to be honest about their feelings and thoughts, since it is art and you have the freedom to do so. Which neatly brings me along to the next question.

 

    Style. Now this not something you need to necessarily develop right from your first sentence.  It is a gradual process which moulds itself over time. If you look back after writing a couple of blogs you would realise how your style works out for you. You need not go in search for a style elsewhere. Just stick to what you have and you will find your right audience.

 

     I should have started with this first, but the hardest part of writing is well, writing. Dear reader, it is completely understandable how writing way down on the list that you would like to do at any given point, especially with enough distractions around. During my times in a boarding school, since we did not have phones, I resorted to extensive reading, since it was a great alternative. Now you do not want me to lecture you into writing, but it would be great if you find yourself a suitable motivation to write. Now motivation can come in different forms. Be it peer pressure, fear of failure, proving yourself (or someone else) right, impressing someone whatnot.

 

     Structuring your thoughts is necessary both in informal and formal writing. In creative writing yes you have a bit of leeway, but you need to provide a convincing narrative that manages to capture the reader’s attention throughout. Try to think ahead when it comes to this or edit your writing trying to order your thoughts at the end. (Same goes for exam papers. Don’t spill the beans in the first page itself, spread it out!)

 

     Come up with a good title. A work does not exist if no one reads it! So, think of out of the box. Watch out! A good title is not a clickbait, it is the setup that eventually pays off at the last line of your blog. Again, as you find your style, you would eventually find your titles; serious, sarcastic, playful, mysterious and so on.

 

       As millions have said before me you need to read before writing. Reading helps a lot in vocabulary. I completely agree. However, I would like to add that back in school most of my vocabulary came from Hollywood films. Either way, get some high-quality chatter from somewhere.

  

      There are different schools of thought when it comes to the artist’s intrusion into the text. Now I can suggest that it can be fun for blogs, by providing a personal touch. You can comment your thoughts, different interpretations, experiences and so on. However, when it comes to delicate subjects with different standpoints one should be able to voice out their thoughts with clarity and their reasons to feel so, since the internet is best known for peaceful conversations.

 

     Before I conclude I would like to add that, blogging is only a personal affair, you need to worry too much about making too much mistakes since everyone have to start somewhere. However, try not to imitate what is seen as popular in an attempt to gain popularity. Just be yourself and everything else will take its course aptly.

 

Hope you may have found my inputs useful.

Until next time!

Lan

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did The Salesman Deserve To Die?

The Little Prince and his Little Rose

Dawn At Central